Friday 28 August 2015

The 7 Things I Learn't About Leadership From Running A Social Business



You learn a lot when you take the plunge and end up running your own social business as 23. Here are just a few of the lesson's i learnt about being a leader and running a business.

  1. This is really hard. And it’s meant to be, if it was easy, everybody would do it. It’s the hard that makes it great.
  2.  If you achieve anything, it will be because you have a great team. It is a naive person who thinks they achieve alone. I’ve learnt the most important role of a leader is to build a phenomenal team, and recognize they are the reason you achieve any progress.
  3. It’s okay to say you don’t know. I think I forget sometimes that although I am running a business, I am only 23. I’m just a kid still really. I don’t need to know it all now, and making mistakes and learning is all part of the process. It’s about respecting myself enough to admit when I don’t know, and respecting my team and those around me enough to ask them for help.
  4. My job is to have the hard conversations. This is something I have never been good at, but I’m learning I have to be... It’s my job, as leader, to stand up for my team, to back them, and to lead by example. And it’s also my job to tell them when things need to change or when ‘No’ has to be the answer.
  5. The only ‘qualification’ that really matters is your motivation. It’s my motivation and hard work that has taught me that I can be so much more than what my education ever told me I was.
  6. Your title doesn’t earn you respect, your actions do. Every day I feel privileged that I have a voice others are willing to listen too. I feel so lucky to be able to build my vision with people that take me seriously. But I’ve learnt ‘CEO’ only buys you superficial respect, it my values, how I care for my team, that really earns respect.
  7.  I have a boss. Just because I call the shots doesn’t mean I’m not accountable to anyone. I am accountable to my customers and primarily my team. If I let them down, I won’t have a team to lead.
Kim Abbott Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment